Repairing Things

As my last thread on mending things has been locked (as has it’s predecessor) I will start a new one.

https://engx.theiet.org/f/discussions/28607/mending-things

The handle on our laundry basket broke which at first looked like throw it away and buy a new one. Here, Switzerland, we would have to pay to dispose of it, either cut it up and put it in paid rubbish sack or take it to the recycling centre (minimum charge CHF 2).

As an alternative I slipped some heatshrink over the broken handle and punched some holes with a leather workers punch. The two ends were then laced together with some galvanized wire (SWA armour wire) and the heatshrink was shrunk over the joint. Less than 15 mins work and the basket will be kept out of the waste stream for a few more years.

How many others on here will try to repair rather than replace?

Parents
  • I've just repaired two of our clothes line props: one had the plastic hook at the top sheared off so I cut it off flat and screwed in a cup hook, the other had a sliding joint fixing half way up the pole which had become loose so I attached it on firmly with heatshrink.

I find heatshrink a great addition to the previous classic fix-all duo of WD40 and gaffa tape!

• I've just repaired two of our clothes line props: one had the plastic hook at the top sheared off so I cut it off flat and screwed in a cup hook, the other had a sliding joint fixing half way up the pole which had become loose so I attached it on firmly with heatshrink.

I find heatshrink a great addition to the previous classic fix-all duo of WD40 and gaffa tape!

Children
  • Heat shrink is good Grinning  I would have liked to have used adhesive lined heat shrink for this repair but I only have the smaller sizes for reparing flexible cables.