NHS Production System (NHSps)

An NHS Production System is evolving. Help is requested from interested Production Engineers:

Poster can be viewed on line here: https://catmalvern.co.uk/Lectures/Posters/

Parents
  • I don't know about anyone else, but I couldn't even read that poster (even if I downloaded it and zoomed in). Some of few words I could make out looked looked like Greek to me.

- Andy.

• Thanks for your comment AMK

• Andy, If you click on the illustration then click on 'Zoom in' top left of screen you will see a larger image.

• I wonder if there are any healthcare engineers or estate managers using this forum? I would like to hear their thoughts on the topic of NHS backlogs and how an NHSps could help improve the situation. As you have mentioned, Process Productivity, effectiveness and efficiency are all underlying causes of NHS backlogs in addition to the issues of staff shortages, funding and capacity. I am curious to know how NHSps would work in practice and what challenges or opportunities it would entail.

• I was a Production Engineer working in manufacturing including the car industry. I was a member of the Institute of Production Engineers (IProdE) The IProdE joined forces with the then IEE. Not sure if there are any Production Engineers left in the IET. I was hoping that if there are then they would join this forum. It would be good if any members working in the NHS joined in. The VMIps certainly has worked in practice and VMI Consultants are working with the NHS. I'm sure IET members could provide some very useful imput.

• Thanks for sharing your background and experience as a Production Engineer. It is impressive to know that you participated in the car industry and the IProdE. I was unaware of the VMIps or the VMI Consultants until now, but I looked them up online . It seems that they are related to veterinary medicine and animal health ? 

• Not sure about animal health, it's certainly human health now. If you search on Amazon for Virginia Mason you will see their three books. All about delivering healthcare in their hospitals. I think that they have 11 and many more smaller clinics. I'll good stuff.

• Ian, If you click on the illustration then click on 'Zoom in' top left of screen you will see a larger image.

• Thanks Tom, very interesting. Virginia Mason is known for its patient-family partner program, which aims to improve health care quality and safety by involving patients and their families in various aspects of care. How common and effective is this approach in the NHS?

• The NHS do put a lot of effort into this but it is not very effective in instigating improvements. The various schemes are not joined up nor related to specific NHS processes.

• A new British standard for quality management in healthcare has just been published. BS ISO 7101:2023. If only the NHS would give it some consideration. I will continue to put pressure on the NHS to take an Engineer's view on Process Management, Quality Management and Safety Management. It would be great if the IET were to help.

• A new British standard for quality management in healthcare has just been published. BS ISO 7101:2023. If only the NHS would give it some consideration. I will continue to put pressure on the NHS to take an Engineer's view on Process Management, Quality Management and Safety Management. It would be great if the IET were to help.

Children
  • What can be done to pressure the NHS to adopt the Engineers view ? Are you collaborating with others ? Maybe IHEEM.