NHS Production System (NHSps)

An NHS Production System is evolving. Help is requested from interested Production Engineers:

Poster can be viewed on line here: https://catmalvern.co.uk/Lectures/Posters/

Parents
  • I don't know about anyone else, but I couldn't even read that poster (even if I downloaded it and zoomed in). Some of few words I could make out looked looked like Greek to me.

- Andy.

• I remember now, the IHEEM are involvers in Estates management and not the design and delivery of services so would not be relevant to my efforts but thanks anyway. Healthcare production systems are definitely within the scope of Engineering Technology. It's a great shame that they know so little about it and are not interested in learning. It's so interesting!

• Yeah, it's really sad that the IET doesn't care much about this kind of engineering technology, even though they took over the IProdE's work? 

• Have you seen the NHS Impact reports. It is creating big changes the the NHS as is PSIRF, both only just being considered by Trusts. Loads of 'systems engineering' design required. Not sure that clinical staff can do it alone. The IET members could have a big input if they knew somrthing about it.

• I haven't read the impact report yet, but I'm interested in learning more about it. What are the main findings?

• NHS IMPACT (Improving Patient Care Together) has been launched to support all NHS organisations, systems and providers at every level, including NHS England, to have the skills and techniques to deliver continuous improvement. It has five components. The most interesting to me is 'Embedding improvement into management systems and processes'. That is a massive change for the NHS. The new BS that I referred to above would be a good fit for this but they have no idea how to design a system following the standard. The new standard is based on ISO 9001 that we are all so familiar with. What with remote monitoring, AI, wearables, it is a big task and they have to get started. What a mess they are in. Certainly new hospital design is very important as well. SALUS are doing loads of work in this area as you no doubt know.

• Embedding improvement into management systems and processes.  Can you tell me what this involves and how you do it? What are the advantages and difficulties of doing this? How do you check and measure the effect of this component on patient care and outcomes?

• That's the question that the NHS are trying to answer. As they have no process documentation or process management and don't know where or how to start they are struggling. This is where I have been volunteering my time to help and have asked the IET to take an interest but, right from the top, the IET have declined to engage. This is so sad because it's the IET membership that could help. The key difficulty is that the NHS think that ticking a few boxes on a checklist will suffice. There is a lot of detail on the internet.

• They are reluctant to participate, even though they assumed the responsibilities of the IProdE? I suppose even this discussion illustrates it, only you and I have really contributed here. It demonstrates their lack of interest or willingness of IET members to engage.

• I'm not sure that it is all down to the members. If there is no leadership/policy from those that run the IET and SIG leaders then members will not have a platform for discussion. The current issues with cancer waiting times is a Production Engineering and System Engineering problem/solution. If the IET are not going to talk about this and help members to work and find solutions in healthcare then how will the NHS cope? Waiting times is not the only 'production' issue either!

• Hi. Please join my webinar on the 19th March where I'll be talking on this topic: https://q.health.org.uk/event/how-to-overcome-todays-lack-of-nhs-process-documentation-to-support-effective-improvement/

All welcome.

Regards

Tom

Reply Children
No Data