Blocked greasing point

I have one pin on my tractor front end loader that won't take grease.

I have checked the nipple and that the hole through the pin is clear. I've tried using a grease hammer with white spirit and I've tried heating it up with a gas torch. All to no avail.

It's a through pin secured by a through roll pin which is of course itself stuck so currently I can't drive the main pin out.

It doesn't have a hard life so leaving it could be an option but that doesn't sit well with my inner mechanic! So, all I can think of is to get really radical with the gas torch, what, to the point of cherry red? As I said, it's working ok atm so I don't want to *** it up!

I would welcome any other suggestions that have worked for you in the past.

Thanks G.

Parents
  • A parallel punch set or cut the point off an appropriately sized nail with a hacksaw to use it as a punch.

• OK, not quite what I visualized, sorry, Seconded on the punch for the pin removal. plus a wedge up or put something massive on the other side so the energy of the strike is not dissipated in waggling the structure, To encourage the pin to move relative to the hole, as well as hitting the pin, the hole needs to be unable to move out of the way - easy to say, may be hard to arrange,

Punch needs to be shaped so as not to spread the pin - any sort of mushroom head forming will make it really hard to shift.

Warmth and paraffin may held a bit, but is not a cure-all.

I have seen cunning slide hammer style devices used to do this sort of thing, and even bearing removals, on tanks and other big metal but here I assume a normal club hammer and the right size piece of steel are more suited.

Mike

• OK, not quite what I visualized, sorry, Seconded on the punch for the pin removal. plus a wedge up or put something massive on the other side so the energy of the strike is not dissipated in waggling the structure, To encourage the pin to move relative to the hole, as well as hitting the pin, the hole needs to be unable to move out of the way - easy to say, may be hard to arrange,

Punch needs to be shaped so as not to spread the pin - any sort of mushroom head forming will make it really hard to shift.

Warmth and paraffin may held a bit, but is not a cure-all.

I have seen cunning slide hammer style devices used to do this sort of thing, and even bearing removals, on tanks and other big metal but here I assume a normal club hammer and the right size piece of steel are more suited.

Mike

Children
No Data