The societal impact of Artificial Intelligence (AI) - what are the opportunities and challenges?

Do you see AI as a game-changer that can revolutionise industries and enhance human capabilities? Or do you have concerns about the ethical implications and the need for regulation to prevent potential misuse? Join the discussion and share your thoughts on the evolving landscape of AI and its role in shaping our future.

• I think however we feel about AI, it's here to stay and we need to think about how it's regulated, but equally, think of the opportunities! Would you want to work in AI? I think it could be fascinating and it's definitely an area of growth Thinking

• Can I vote 'all (or at least most) of the above'?

- Andy.

• Sorry Andy, only one vote allowed Slight smile. so what's your strongest contender? You can go into more detail here though if you want? I'm curious as to which one you wouldn't vote for.

• Unfortunately it is still GIGO.

To be of any use it has to achieve  a significantly better performance that a human under a set of closely defined conditions. If it can't do it you might as well use a human.

• I'm curious as to which one you wouldn't vote for.

"AI raises ethical concerns about job displacement and data privacy" - just on account of that's not really anything new or specific to AI - we have that problem already - from the days of the Luddites to what Google or Microsoft could deduce about you even before the coming of AI. AI may well make such things easier and/or cheaper - but I doubt it would be to the extent that changing from 8-bit/MHz processors to 64-bit/GHz/multicore ones did.

- Andy.

• I think most of the folk trumping that it will change the worlds, have very little idea of what constitutes 'AI' compared to more conventional computerization of tasks that could be done by humans, and more importantly what it will almost certainly not be able do. 

Machine 'learning' is not really the same as human learning - a computer is not going to have an original idea, rather it will allow faster recognition of things the same as or very similar to those that have already  been seen - and that is a huge benefit to certain types of mundane jobs where real folk get bored - recognizing unusual patterns on CCTV footage for example or the screening of medical scans,  but the range is training limited 

While person trained to look at medical scans may one day decide to change job and drive a truck, or go traveling abroad,  or take up a musical instrument, a computer is not going to do that sort of intelligent thing, nor generally do we want it to...

Mike.

• Good point, but I think it's a common perception so it's good to capture it. It'll be an interesting historical snapshot if nothing else!

• Why do people keeping using the term AI?  (no offence Lisa)

Is it Artificial? Well yes

Is it Intelligent?  Well......Here is the start of another debate.

AI is being pushed by Sales and Marketing people.  What we have at the moment is machine learning of sorts.  As an example will AI get a Nobel laureate in Physics like Peter Higgs?  Peter Higgs had a fantastic mind and his name will always continue in the Physics community (Higgs Boson) Will people think the same of ChatGCP version 25 in a few years time?

Now if Peter Higgs had access to tools like AI (other names are available) in the 1960s (Broken Symmetry) well the opportunities could be endless.  

The brilliant Peter Higgs unfortunately passed away this week. 

• AI will continue to transform human activities and in the near future affect all aspects of life.

- AI coupled with data mining can help improve the efficiency of business and profits and also increase customer satisfaction based on recommender systems

- Eventually, AI will displace certain Jobs, and most clerical tasks or data entry roles may be replaced with AI soonest, currently, AI is performing the roles of Customer Care representatives for most services

My concern about AI remains the inability of legislation to keep up and its misuse due to dependence on humans for "legal", and "correct" decision-making.