Solar PV consumed units measuring using energy meter

Hi, I am recently going to do an 3 phase Solar PV system installation to one of my clients and planning to add a 3 phase meter in between to measure the consumed units of solar by the client. For this I am planning to use Victron Energy Meter VM-3P75CT. In their product manual they have stated that a switch or circuit breaker to be added between Phase 1 and Neutral and a fuse between circuit breaker and the meter. Can anyone explain to me the technicality of this breaker & fuse addition please? What I am confused is that if it is for the protection of the meter why use only to 1 phase.

• I too find this rather odd. I would be unphased (hah) by a 3P/4P MCB or fuse/switch combination.

Indeed the manual also says a fuse is required in the neutral, which isn't okay unless ganged with the other phases.

Have you spoken to Victron about this?

• Thank you for your comment. Yes I send them an email and so far no response yet.

• reading the description, the system electronics is powered by an SMPS  between L1 and N, while L2 and L3 are just voltage metering inputs, presumably wired L-L-L delta or in a star with flying centre  not needing a neutral for the metering.

The fuse operates if the internal PSU develops a fault, and disconnects it,  but in my mind  does not make it safe.

Personally I'd rather wire the neutral solid, and have a 500mA fuse in each phase. I'd certainly not be following those instructions as drawn on a installation in the UK.

Mike.

• planning to add a 3 phase meter in between to measure the consumed units of solar by the client.

As an aside, presuming this is a grid-connected setup, then it looks to me that the meter will measure what the PV inverter generates, rather than what is consumed on-site. The difference can be significant (as anyone with a feed-in-tariff will tell you).

- Andy.

• Thank you very much for your valuable comments and feedback.

• Thank you very much for your valuable comments and feedback.