This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Ventilation Requirements - Post Covid 19

Hi

Guidance during Covid 19 was for all AHU's to introduce 100% fresh air (no recirculation) and the opening of windows. Is anyone aware of any changes to this guidance, especially in view of the current energy costs

• No, but the answer is complex. There is as far as I can find ANY data on the transmission method of Covid19, although there have been experiments with a couple of viruses. It was assumed to be airborne, but then they introduced hand washing, disinfection etc, but then obviously ineffective masks, and then they wanted as many air changes as possible which surely introduces a higher chance of infection!

You may like to look here which is interesting, whether it is correct or not is still open to debate, although some quite respected Doctors are involved.

odysee.com/@drsambailey:c?view=content

• It took longer than it should, but eventually was accepted as airborne. The UK technical report has just been released which admits that:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/technical-report-on-the-covid-19-pandemic-in-the-uk

Handwashing and disinfection routines are good for lots of things (Florence Nightingale knew that) but won't stop you getting covid.

• I got covid in June on the very first week that we abandoned social distancing at work. The very generous colleague who gave me the virus was not yet symptomatic (and had few symptoms at any stage). I was sitting next to him at a similar distance to let's say a football stadium. The odd thing was that another colleague who sat on the other side of him was unaffected. The only possible difference was that I was in the corner of the room, which has no windows and my colleague was by the door.

I doubt that ventilation was the difference, but more likely that my colleague has some form of natural immunity.

I might add that all three of us were fully vaccinated.

• Just happened to come across this discussion while browsing the IET site!

There was an interesting article in the Economist on this topic in May 21. Basically, research concluded that combining masks and improved ventilation greatly reduced the chance of infection in a confined space.

The article is at Improving ventilation will help curb SARS-CoV-2 | The Economist - though you probably need an Economist account to read it.

It is a lengthy article but one paragraph goes:

"Applied to a typical American school class of 19 pupils and a teacher, the safe time after an infected individual enters a classroom that is naturally ventilated (that is, how long before the risk of infection is unacceptably high) is 72 minutes. This period can, though, be extended in two ways. One is by mechanical ventilation of the room, which increases the safe time to 7.2 hours. The other is by everyone wearing masks. In the absence of mechanical ventilation, mask-wearing increases the safe time to eight hours. But the real benefit comes from combining these approaches. That pushes the safe time up to 80 hours—almost 14 days if a school day is six hours long. Add in intervening weekends and a class wearing masks in a school room with adequate ventilation would thereby be safe for longer than the time it takes to recover from covid-19, which is typically between one and two weeks. School transmissions would thus be rare."

That does seem to make sense. Masks will slow the release of particles but won't stop them completely. If there is no ventilation then the concentration will build up. If the ventilation removes particles from the room faster than they are added then  the concentration should stay low.

Obviously lots of complications like how effective are the particular masks used, how much heavy breathing is going on, air velocities and numbers of air changes.