What do you think about infrared wallpaper?

I recently read this interesting article: Farewell radiators? Testing out electric infrared wallpaper and wondered if anyone in the community had come across/tried it?

It seems like a good innovation, certainly space-saving and probably more efficient and green, but I can't help wondering how easy would it be to maintain? What happens if something goes wrong? Do you rip out the plaster to fit a new 'sheet' of wallpaper? It seems like it would only be suitable for new builds. Can you imagine how much upheaval it would cause to install it behind plaster in older homes? Although older homes are surely where the energy efficiencies need to be made. 

With rising temperatures, I wonder if future versions of it can be used to cool homes as well as heat them? Thinking

If costs came down, do you think you would have infrared wallpaper in your home?

• I have some infrared heating Slight smile Not wallpaper though, just a standard unit installed on the ceiling in the bedroom and one on the wall in the living room. It's a really nice heat to be fair, like having the sun shining on you on a warm summer's day. 

I would definitely give the wallpaper a go if we could retrofit without much disturbance but I guess I'll have to wait until we do our next stint of re-decorating Wink

• Sounds nice and warm. Do you also have solar power or does the electricity come from off the grid? Do you find it to be economic?

Maybe it will become like conventional wallpaper where you end up layering it up over the years and your house gets warmer and warmer?! SweatJoy

• Those of us who like to screw cupboards and shelves to the wall would have a problem, as would those who already insist on finding cables with every use of an electric drill ;-)
    Not really sure what the novelty is of a very flat heater running at low temperature. It will  be no cheaper than any other system using electricity to heat the same volume to the same temperature - as it may be more prone to heat loss though external walls, as the walls then have to be the hottest  part of the room , not the coldest, so it may even use more power to feel as warm in the centre of the room.

Ideally to save on heating bills you want radiant heat, which generally involves something glowing red or near infra-red,  so that you heat the exposed skin but not the air - as installed in the late 60s early 70s, and ripped out in the 90s as too old fashioned. As seen in the TLC catalogue...

No points from me I'm afraid.

Mike.

• Ah yes, it wouldn't be particularly nail/drill friendly would it! I suppose that's why they have it in the ceiling in the article. Depth behind the plasterboard would certainly need to be a consideration. 

Now that takes me back Mike! We had one of those in our bathroom when I was a kid and it always rather terrified me! ScreamGrinning

• Comes from the grid..... at the moment..... Wink Am looking to install solar panels in the future and maybe some solar heating too! But as you know, I am solar powered 

• I was tempted to post a similar question about the article.

The idea that mildly warm wallpaper could heat somebody by radiation is pure nonsense - imagine it glowing dull red! Any heating would be by convection (unless you were leaning against the wall). I like innovation, but under-floor heating is well-established.

• Ideally to save on heating bills you want radiant heat, which generally involves something glowing red or near infra-red,  so that you heat the exposed skin but not the air - as installed in the late 60s early 70s, and ripped out in the 90s as too old fashioned. As seen in the TLC catalogue...

Mrs P and I both have a radiant heater in our bathrooms. They are very handy when the CH is not on, especially when naked. The only snag is remembering to turn them off!

• Thanks for posting this Elizabeth. My better half sent me a link to that article a couple of days ago, only when i saw this thread did i take a look, oops Slight smile

The manufacturer's site says it is a thin sheet positive temperature coefficient heating element using "tiny semiconductor ceramic stones" which, as the temperature increases, the resistance increases dramatically, so that they do not, by design, overheat. They also state that they can be installed within ceilings or floors, or within "panels" for the walls. So calling it wallpaper is perhaps a misnomer, unless you think branded shiny sheets with wires attached is tres chic.

In spite of it being possibly safer (in terms of overheating) than traditional wired heating elements, you still get the problem of localised hotspots where furniture, piles of clothes, etc insulate the elements, and having these items at the max temp of 60degC seems a bit dangerous to me, especially with some natural flooring materials. But would possibly suit a very spartan, bare designer house with only 1 chair and a toothbrush. 

• Glad it triggered your memory   Grinning I definitely think 'wallpaper' is a misnomer but I guess that was designed, as you say, to appeal to a certain audience. It would seem more prudent to have it as underfloor heating and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be 'glowing dull red'  otherwise it would be a very niche market Smiling imp 

I suppose with anything new it needs to be tested/used a bit more before being a viable option.

• So it's a case of watch this space? You'll have to let us know how you get on!