Replacing electric locomotives with diesels due to cost

There seems to be a lack of joined up thinking/government Frowning2

Parents
  • But DB Cargo also knows that biofuels are not perfect. They are not always easy to get or cheap to buy. So DB Cargo asked the government and other companies to help them get more biofuels and make them cheaper. DB Cargo said that this was not an easy decision, but it was a good way to start being more green and sustainable.

I think that DB Cargo is doing a good thing by trying to use less diesel and more biofuels, but I also think that this is not enough. I think that DB Cargo should look for other ways to make its trains run without diesel or biofuels, such as using electricity, hydrogen or batteries. I also think that DB Cargo should tell everyone how much CO2 it makes and how much it reduces, and be honest about its environmental goals and actions.

• If electricity is too expensive, then there's no way they can afford hydrogen.  Unless it's the sort of hydrogen that's made from natural gas, in which case they might as well install LPG tanks on the trains.

• I think that DB Cargo should look for other ways to make its trains run without diesel or biofuels, such as using electricity, hydrogen or batteries. I also think that DB Cargo should tell everyone how much CO2 it makes and how much it reduces, and be honest about its environmental goals and actions.

However, it could also be argued that, in a free market economy, that since rail freight has considerable lower emissions per ton-mile (e.g. ref below), then to reduce CO2 emission what is more important right now is that rail freight companies keep their costs as low as possible (and their flexibility as high as possible) to encourage freight transfer from other modes to rail.

Example data: https://www.cbo.gov/system/files/2022-12/58566-co2-emissions-transportation.pdf 

Then, once a higher proportion is on rail, it does of course become more important to encourage reduction in rail CO2 emissions (which is happening anyway) - it moves from a second order effect to a first order effect.

• I agree that shifting stuff by train is better for the planet than shifting them by lorry, less fuel and make less pollution. One train can carry as much as 110 lorries. But I don’t think that making trains cheaper and quicker is enough to make more people use them to shift their stuff. There are other things that count, like availability and quality of rail infrastructure, how well the trains work in different countries, the reliability and punctuality of rail services, loyalty of rail freight operators and more. These things make trains more decent and fit in the market, and they need brass and new ideas from both the government and the businesses.

• I agree that shifting stuff by train is better for the planet than shifting them by lorry, less fuel and make less pollution. One train can carry as much as 110 lorries. But I don’t think that making trains cheaper and quicker is enough to make more people use them to shift their stuff. There are other things that count, like availability and quality of rail infrastructure, how well the trains work in different countries, the reliability and punctuality of rail services, loyalty of rail freight operators and more. These things make trains more decent and fit in the market, and they need brass and new ideas from both the government and the businesses.

Children