This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

EVs and the public, Interesting!

• All this talk of reversing global warming reminds me of King Cnut. The modern interpretation of failing to hold back the tides is that he was powerless when it came to God's creation.

Now, however, we have a lobby which insists that global warming is man-made; and more importantly, that man can do something about it.

Far more important than global warming is the fact that fossil fuels will run out, not in my lifetime, but in my granddaughters'.

• “we have a lobby which insists that global warming is man-made”. I agree with that Chris, in part.

We are sliding down a hill and we cant stop it being a hill. 

We can, however choose to put lubricant under ourselves to slide quicker or grit to slide slower.

The difference between slower or quicker might be quite a few years, therefore a few generations of us all. 

Might be worth an extra effort on our part after all? 

(providing, of course, we get it done the right way and not pie in the sky way.

• I lived in East London for most of the 1950's and I can still remember trolley buses and all the overhead cables.

Using that system for lorries would be a very expensive white elephant - lorries make deliveries to local level of the distribution network so we would need cables everywhere.

Lorries and similar high power systems probably need a hydrogen powered solution. We have finally got around to trying this for trains after the high cost and time delays on the GWR electrification.  London now has it's first hydrogen powered bus.

If we are seriously going to try and solve these problems (and I am not getting into the ' whys and wherefores').  We need a grown up solution - simply stating a need such as - we want electric cars and we want them by date xxxx  - and then hoping that private enterprise will magic up an ideal solution which gives maximum benefit to mankind is just not good enough.

If we must use battery powered cars then we should insist that they are made with standardised battery packs that can be swapped at a network of 'electric garages' and then charged at dedicated stations.  They could retain an on board charging system to accommodate charging in areas remote from the 'electric garages'.

Regards

Geoff Blackwell

•  

If we are seriously going to try and solve these problems (and I am not getting into the ' whys and wherefores').  We need a grown up solution - simply stating a need such as - we want electric cars and we want them by date xxxx  - and then hoping that private enterprise will magic up an ideal solution which gives maximum benefit to mankind is just not good enough.

Regards

Geoff Blackwell

There is no real urgent problem with the climate. Its been warming steadily since the little ice age 300 years ago. All this rush to zero immissions is wrong.

And don't mention Micheal Manns hockey stick. It proven to be bad science modelling.

• davezawadi (David Stone): 

Overheads everywhere? Stupid idea, and fantastically expensive!

Not everywhere, but on busy roads, yes. For both trolley buses and trucks. Vehicles to be fitted with batteries for limited use away from the overhead.

• Far more important than global warming is the fact that fossil fuels will run out, not in my lifetime, but in my granddaughters'

The end of cheap fossil fuels might be sooner than you think. North Sea gas production has been in  decline for years and now can supply less than 50% of UK demand - and continues to decline. So we'll have to import more and more of our gas. As supply declines and ‘developing’ countries continue to increase their energy consumption, prices are likely to rise considerably, never mind the additional costs of liquidification and transport.  Also consider quite where this gas is likely to come from and therefore who controls the supply - will it really be politically sensible to effectively hand over the ability to freeze our population in winter and cripple our industry to to some foreign cartel or ex-KGB agent who perhaps don't have the UK's welfare as a first priority?

- Andy.

• AJJewsbury: 
    The end of cheap fossil fuels might be sooner than you think.

Yes, but when the price goes up, reserves that are currently uneconomic to obtain will come into play; and of course a high price will drive down consumption.

It is sobering to think that the local gas network was put in only in the 1930s.

Fortunately, we have coal to fall back onto.

• Arthur get your men back

• As I pulled onto my driveway yesterday there was a self employed Amazon delivery guy dropping packages off at neighbours homes.

He was driving a 2004 Renault Trafic van, you could buy a van like that and be on the road as a self employed delivery driver for around £2K, to replace that van with a new electric delivery van could cost £60K.

It is not going to happen, unless Amazon buy the vans and employ the drivers or arrange leases and ensure the self employed drivers earn enough to cover the cost.

• Sparkingchip: 

As I pulled onto my driveway yesterday there was a self employed Amazon delivery guy dropping packages off at neighbours homes.

He was driving a 2004 Renault Trafic van, you could buy a van like that and be on the road as a self employed delivery driver for around £2K, to replace that van with a new electric delivery van could cost £60K.

It is not going to happen, unless Amazon buy the vans and employ the drivers or arrange leases and ensure the self employed drivers earn enough to cover the cost.

It will happen when the electric van can be purchased on credit, and when the repayments are less than the running costs of a petrol or diesel vehicle.