This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Maker Movement / Mending Things

Having finally received my E&T and read the section on repairing consumer items I wondered how many people here  actually mend/make things?

To start thing off I have attached a couple of pictures of recent repairs I have made. Did it make sense to make these repairs? I think so.

c04bbf54d6eaed567b1d64f690b8bcb5-huge-fridge-icebox-door-hinge-repair.jpg

09c4eb6b07e6a755f957564934bf5b49-huge-suitcase-wheel-repair.jpg

Best regards

Roger
  • Well, as an unashamedly woke green hippy snowflake I did a similar calculation when I bought my 1.8 DIESEL (shock horror) Civic, which is now 11 years old. Because even pre-covid I didn't drive a huge number of miles and they were mostly dual carriageway / motorway, because I hardly ever do urban driving (diesels in urban areas are not nice), and because I buy 3-5 year old cars and run them into the ground over 15-20 years, then with the technology at the time this seemed to be a pretty efficient solution on all counts compared to, particularly, the battery life in electrics and hybrids. However, the technology's changing all the time, so would the audit on that still work today? To be honest I don't know, probably not, hopefully it will be several years yet before I'll have to do it!

On the more general question, I'm not actually convinced that domestic equipment is more unreliable if compared price-for-price with yesteryear. When we had small children and no money and bought white goods for £100 a time and small appliances for £10s of pounds a time yes the life expectancy was pretty bad. Now, as an example, this site https://www.retrowow.co.uk/social_history/70s/cost_1973.php reckons a twin tub (our first second-hand washing machine) cost £73.36 in 1973 prices, equivalent to £630.00 today. Even now, I wouldn't spend £630 for a washing machine, but by paying something more in the order of that sort of price the white goods we have now have kept going for at least the 10 year mark (i.e. still going today, I'll have to post here again in another 10 years), and spare parts have been available on the rare occasion they have failed. So are appliances really less reliable (and less supported), or is it that it is now possible to produce low cost low reliability appliances for those that want them? 

Even more so with cars, I had my first car in 1978 which was made in 1968, it rusted away a year later. I would say that if anything the life expectancy of cars I've owned has lengthened over those 42 years (remembering as above I've never sold a car as a going concern!). The difference is that I used to have to spend every weekend fixing the blessed things once they were over about 5 years old, now I'm staggered if one fails an MOT on a minor point. What maybe makes the obsolescence proofing of cars look bad is that now when a 15-20 year old car is scrapped (say because the ECU has failed) it looks almost like new, whereas it was always a joke that you could judge the age of, say, a Ford Cortina by how many of the doors were the same colour as the rest of the car. (Yes you could replace the doors from a scrapyard, the problem was that you had to!) 

Of course as you can imagine I don't like the low cost low reliability throw away culture, but then equally I'm very aware that I'm lucky to be able to make the choice...do we want to say that appliances will last twice as long, but most people won't be able to afford them? (Remembering again I grew up in the 1960s/70s, my parents grew up in the 1920s/30s.) There is no simple answer to that question (particularly again for a wghs as stated in the opening sentence!).

BUT I do agree that the obsolescence of serviceable phones and computers due to the expansion of software is really really annoying. (Can't remember if I've said in this thread before: Millar's law of Software Expansion: for any improvement in hardware, the software will expand until the device runs just slightly irritatingly slow.) However unless someone can stop Moore's law that ain't going to end soon.

Cheers,

Andy

• It's less of a problem for me for Desktops and laptops as I can generally fix them and keep them going almost indefinitely. My laptop is a Toshiba satellite which originally had Windows 7, but had been upgraded to Win10 when I bought it a couple of years ago for £200, The battery still holds a full charge and is good for several hours use. I also have an HP Pavilion 10X2 detachable, which is a mix of 2 we had, after onedied with a puffy battery which distorted the case and cracked the screen. (these are basically touch screen tablets with a magnetically attached hinged keyboard).

The Toshiba now runs Mint 19.3 XFCE, the HP now runs Open SUSE Tumbleweed, also XFCE. and my self built desktop is multi booting Mint 19.3, Xubuntu 18.04 and Win 10 Pro. I have two older desktops built in 2009/10, one of which has Ubuntu 20.04 ,which I've resurrected for my son and the other is earmarked to run Owncloud as my own cloud server. Both my printers are 2nd hand HP devices. and my portable CD/Radio/MP3 is second hand, costing a whole £11 from a private EBay seller. I also have a 2nd hand Sony ar stereo waiting to be fitted on my 2001 Honda Civic.
  • Andy Millar:

At the other extreme, many years ago I used to have a friend who would "mend" incandescant light bulbs - by twirling them them around with a particular wrist flick action which would cause the free end of the coil to wrap itself around the end it had broken off.

. . .

I once "repaired" a tungsten light bulb like this. It had failed prematurely, having being dropped, which broke the filament. I manipulated it to join the broken ends and it lasted for quite a while.

I found this did not work with bulbs that had run their normal life. I could sometimes rejoin the filament ends and get them to work again but they would last only a short time so not really worth it. And of course sometimes when the lamp "blows", the filament disintegrates so there are no free ends that can be joined.

COULD I DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS NOWADAYS?

Not really. There are very few filament bulbs remaining in our household - all in places where they are seldom used, e.g. the loft. It would not be worthwhile to try to repair them, considering their low luminous efficiency. As for compact source fluorescent lamps and LED lamps, I doubt whether I could use gravity to repair these. It is not as though they are as expensive as they used to be.

• Christmas is coming! It's the time of year when friends and others sometimes present me with a set of decoration lights no longer working. I have built a reputation of being able to fix things like this.

A few years ago I was asked if I could fix a set used in our local church. It comprised 40 or more (I forget just how many) miniature capless filament bulbs in series. There were some spare bulbs available but the set was completely lifeless. I had a prod around it with a multimeter and neon testing screwdriver (don't be too horrified!) and located a bulb that had failed and gone open circuit. Normally these bulbs short circuit themselves when they fail, so you can spot them. Result - set working again!

It's getting more difficult. I have a LED set bought only a few years ago. Some lamps are no longer lighting up. These sets are wired in several groups of a few lamps in series and if a lamp goes open circuit or its connection breaks, then the group does not light up. I managed to get one of the groups working again by wiggling a lamp around. Another group I cannot revive. There are no accessible contacts; I would need to break into insulation - if I knew just where the fault was. And then I shall need to re-insulate after the repair - not easy for something to be used outdoors. 

I don't think I'll be using this set many more years. They don't seem to make these things to last, do they, in spite of the high tech.

I have an "elfin cone" lighting set purchased in 1955, which is still in use (not with the original bulbs, obviously)!
  • Pre COVID I was volunteering in my local YMCA charity shop as a PAT tester. We regularly had sets of Christmas lights from November through to January. The older ones with incandescent bulbs were usually fine (Working and tested As safe. LED sets sometimes failed class ll insulation test at 1 Megohm despite functioning correctly. What happened to decent  engineering for durability?
  • That 1955 lighting set is certainly durable but it would not meet modern safety standards. A sliver of tinsel could poke into an MES lampholder and make contact with live metal. It is used nowadays only under my supervision.
  • Lynne Collis:

Even cars are becoming more difficult to repair, apart from inserting new "black boxes". I could strip a Layland engine down to its con rods, but recently, our garage had to close its repair shop for two weeks while it waited for a new diagnostic computer.

If a headlight fails now, I can't just replace the bulb, it's a complete sealed unit that's required. I'm sure that's more profitable for Peugeot-Citroen, but it creates a lot of waste.

I used to tinker a bit with my early cars - change oil, change filters, change clutch cables even. One car had continuing problems with the carburettor. I lost count of how many times I had it to bits. One day in the early seventies I had the unpleasant experience, whilst driving through central London, of the engine cutting out and refusing to tick-over, though it would run as long as the accelerator was depressed. I managed to find a place to park somewhere I shouldn't and carried out roadside repairs. I dismantled the carburettor and blew the idler jet clear. Reassembled and all OK again.

No way! As Lynne says, it's all "black boxes" nowadays. Fuel management systems and such like. They are very clever, I agree. Does anyone remember choke controls, cold engine problems, "flat spots"? Consigned to the dim past. It is even possible to climb a 1 in 12 gradient just on the tickover (yes, I tried it once). Failures are rare but if they do go wrong it can be very wrong. I would call the RAC and leave it to the experts with the tools and the know-how.

• Oliver Stephen Hannaford-Day:

Thats a NiCad battery. PCB mounted batteries have a tendancy to do that if left alone for 15 years sadly.

The battery acid eats the tracks around the battery and worse, the copper out of the via's. The crystal case was destroyed too.

The crystal has now been replaced and any open circuit tracks have been remade but I think theres damage under some of the chips so will need to desolder the chips (and probably socket them) to check.

Fun times. :-)

I had a television set which one day lost all its channel tuning information. I was able to restore the information but it lost it all again the next time it was switched off. I had a look in the back and found indeed a similar NiCad cell looking in a sorry state, though there was 1·2 V across it with the set switched on. Fortunately the tracks were still in reasonable condition. I could not source an identical cell for replacement, so I just procured what I could - the wrong size so I hitched it to the board with flexible wires. It looked a mess but at least the set retained its tuning again. It lasted several more years, then one day the picture disappeared and it emitted lots of smoke. I decided it was time to send it to WEEE recycling.

It is getting more difficult. For instance I still have a video tape recorder, used on odd occasions, sometimes for copying video cassette to DVD. It retains the tuning channels OK but if it looses mains power the internal clock stops. Without a service manual I have been unable to identify a cell that would maintain the internal clock under loss of  power. I once replaced a similar cell on a laptop computer a few years ago when I was still working. These cells are very small and difficult to distinguish from other components.

• Deborah-Claire McKenzie:

For those occasions when you just can't repair things yourself, here's an excellent spares website that I'd recommend as its kept quite a few of our household appliances and other items going for several years www.buyspares.co.uk

This is a good web site and I have used it myself on occasions. The trouble is that spares become less available over time and even sites like this cannot help. I have a Philips Philishave shaver, approaching 60 years old. The shaver still works and does not do a bad job of shaving. The problem is the mains lead - the conductors have fractured inside the insulation so power to the shaver is a bit intermittent and one needs to manipulate the lead carefully. The connector bit that plugs into the shaver is of a type one does not see any more. Philips has standardised on the type of connector that is widely used for small appliances like this. I am unable to get hold of this old type anywhere.

• regarding the shaver: If you're quite certain that there's some sound cable near the connector, you can cut the rest of the cable and solder some light flex (with a plug and a 1 amp fuse), remembering the colours of the individual wires insulation will be different: Red= Brown Black=blue and green= green/yellow stripes. And don't forget some heat shrink sleeving over the soldered repairs.